About this Blog

Learning to be a Leader is a blog to chronicle my journey towards becoming an Educational Leader. See my first entry for more information.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Looking for rainbows...And that pot of gold!

I remember when I was a kid how excited I would get whenever I would see a rainbow. My father had me convinced that if I could find the end of the rainbow there really would be a pot of gold. He would even drive my brother and I around looking for the rainbows end.Of course we never did find it but that didn't stop me from looking.

As an adult, to this day, whenever I see a rainbow I can remember how we would plot our scheme to catch the leprechaun and it makes me smile. Silly childhood stories associated with a natural phenomenon, but somehow it helps make cloudy days easier as I wait for the rainbow.

So why am I thinking about rainbows? Not because I have seen one recently and not because it's St. Patrick's day, that was over a month ago. I think it's because of what that rainbow and the pot of gold means to me. You see those stories helped me see the magic in ordinary events, they help me believe that a dream worth having was one worth the chase, and that even if you don't find what you were looking for the first time, you never give up trying... because some where out there is your pot of gold waiting to be discovered. Most importantly, is the knowledge that even without the gold, that rainbow is an amazing sight to behold. I am not sure if my father was simply trying to create some memories for his children or to teach us some metaphorical life lesson, but his stories did both. Now at a time when he is facing some difficult challenges, I hope I can help create the same sense of hope for him and determination he instilled in me.

Words from my father all those years ago, 'if you keep searching, someday you will find your treasure.'
My words to you dad... your treasures are all around you keep moving forward so you can enjoy them.

Dedicated to you dad, may you find the physical strength to endure the work, the mental strength to endure the pain, and emotion strength to keep the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflect on this entry here: