About this Blog

Learning to be a Leader is a blog to chronicle my journey towards becoming an Educational Leader. See my first entry for more information.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Next Steps...


I have a little over a month and a half before I complete Phase 2 of the Principal Rapid Orientation and Preparation in Educational Leadership (PROPEL) Program. By May 1st, I will have completed the two-year program and will have earned my Level 2 Principal Credentials.  The program has been intense, demanding, and perhaps the most valuable experience of my life. The intensive "Turn-Around Leadership"training funded by a Race to the Top Grant was designed to prepare my Cohort to work in the most needy schools in our district. I am anxious to put this training to use, having had an opportunity to do a 25 day apprenticeship in a "turn-around" school during this second phase of the program. However, despite the new challenges I will face as I move into the next leadership position, I can't help but reflect on how much I have enjoyed being fully immersed in academic pursuits. Don't get me wrong, working full time and grad school full time has not been easy, but I have loved every minute of it and I am sure I will miss that aspect of the program. 

So... I have decided to take the next step. I am enrolling in a Ph. D Educational Leadership Program. That means 3-5 more years of classes every Saturday. Many have asked me, "Aren't you tired? Don't you want a break?" Others have asked about the personal sacrifices to my family and friends. While I am tired, I still love it. As for the sacrifices, I fortunate that my family is encouraging me to continue my schooling. As for the love of my life, well he thinks I am crazy, but he is proud of me and supportive. I couldn't ask for any more! 

So the journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflect on this entry here: