About this Blog

Learning to be a Leader is a blog to chronicle my journey towards becoming an Educational Leader. See my first entry for more information.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Personal Mission & Vision

I am nearing the end of the first phase of my leadership journey, that is the completion of my certification and endorsements that will qualify me to serve as an Assistant Principal in my district. The PROPEL Leadership program is a specially designed intensive program focused on training us to be change agents for our district, "Turn Around" leaders. Extensive training in leading change, building culture, learning how to capitalize on short term wins to make long term gains... reframing organizations. 

A year's worth of theories, Meta-analyses, high effect size strategies, Instructional leadership.

Names like: Hattie, Reeves, Marzano, Fullen, Drago-Severson, Northouse, Senge, Collins, Allison, McNulty, Robinson, Boleman, Deal, Whitaker. The Wallace report... the list goes on, and on, and on!

90-90-90 schools, 21st century Learning, Common Core, Florida Principal Leadership Standards

Being asked what we believe, what do we value as leaders, what are our "bone deep beliefs... those things that we would be willing to drop our keys on the desk and walk away if they did not exist...

This blog has been a digital reflection of my learning throughout the last year. Moving forward into Phase 2, I will continue to reflect on the next part of my journey, but for now I want to share one of the last tasks I was ask to do in this phase of the program. Below you will find my Personal Mission and Vision. It expresses those "Bone Deep Beliefs" they have been asking us to consider over the past year and it contains my hope for my future in leadership. Perhaps reading it will inspire some to take the leadership journey, perhaps it will remind others why they already took the journey, and perhaps it will simply give you hope for the future of education... because in the hands of those that I have worked with over the past year, we are committed to making a difference for those students that need us the most.

Good Luck to my fellow Cohort Members... May the passion and promise of the future burn bright in you always!


          My personal “Leadership Mission” focuses on my ability to combine leadership skills, intentions and actions in a way that can enhance the lives of others. But what does this mean? The word leadership conjures up as many meanings as there are individuals considering it’s meaning. It is a complex process; constantly evolving, and when implemented with sincerity and purpose, it has the potential to have a positive, dynamic impact on people. Leadership plays a significant role in the lives of every individual regardless of how it is defined.
            For me Leadership can best be broken down into three separate aspects: Skills, Intentions and Actions. Leadership Skills requires individuals to have both a conceptual understanding and a perceptual understanding. The conceptual understanding might also be called the science of leadership, that is, the knowledge of effective leadership strategies, an understanding of how to motivate individuals, and a familiarity with ways to support adult growth and development. The perceptual understanding might best be described as “soft skills,” that is those people skills necessary for building relational trust, the with-it-ness to respond in the moment, and the ability to “read” your audience so you know when your message is being well received.
            Leadership Intentions are more introspective and reflective. Leadership intentions are about core values, those things that define your character and your personal beliefs. One of my key leadership intentions is to be a life-long learner. I believe that we need to continue to take advance of opportunities to not only grow as individuals through reflective practices but we need to also help others reach their full potential. This type of servant leadership is central to my leadership intentions. I also believe it is important to maintain a professional demeanor, one in which I make ethical decisions, set high expectations, and take personal responsibility for my actions. Integrity, honesty, commitment, and passion are aspects of this professionalism and are essential to my core values.
            Finally, leadership takes action. I believe leaders need to have a strong voice for change. They need to support and encourage creative, innovative thinking by creating an environment in which individuals feel safe to take risks. Leaders need to recruit and maintain partnerships and involve all stakeholders in order to develop a framework for collaboration that will increase opportunities for success. Leadership action means that we seek solutions rather than settling for excuses, facing each challenge head on without allowing them to become barriers. Leadership action means that we set high standards; for ourselves and for everyone we work with. It means that we create the belief that anything worth doing is worth doing well… we find the right way not the easy way, and excellence is an expectation not an exception. When leaders take action, we ensure that everyone understands that they play a role in the success of the organization, their ideas, their input and their effort are required and valued.
            These three leadership aspects combined incorporate my personal values, those things that are of utmost importance to me as a person and as a leader. They make up the core of my personal “Leadership Mission.”
            My personal “vision” takes my mission and places it into the future. The vision manifested as a school leader would focus on my ability to create a framework for collaboration in which all stakeholders can work together to create a school that is central to the community, one in which high expectations lead to student achievement and personal growth. However, my vision for the future does not end as a school leader. I have always believed that my true calling is to impact education on a broader scale. My curriculum knowledge, ability to write, my innovative thinking, and my passion for education extends beyond the scope of a single school or even a single district. My vision for the future places me in a position to impact education at the state or national level. With a strong belief that our system needs to be reformed in a way that we are able to create a landscape where industry and education can come together to enhance opportunities for all students, where learning extends into the real-world, where classrooms no longer exist solely within the confines of a building, and where people of all ages come together to learn; my vision for my future in leadership places me in a position to provide innovative ideas that will change the way we learn for decades to come. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflect on this entry here: