About this Blog

Learning to be a Leader is a blog to chronicle my journey towards becoming an Educational Leader. See my first entry for more information.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Perfect School

             The professor stood before our class... "You have reflected on your Leadership Mission and Vision" She was right, in fact I have been reflecting on that since I began this program more than a year ago. She then began to engage us in a fantasy trip... "Imaging yourself in the future, you have had a successful career and are finding yourself in your perfect school." With more than 15 tasks and less than 3 weeks before graduation, I didn't not fancy spending the time to engage in a fantasy. But as she later explained describing "Our Future Perfect School" was one of the documents we needed to complete before graduation. So in the midst of finalizing a research proposal, finishing a literature review, creating my mission and vision, I began my fantasy trip to my perfect school and what I found was that it turned out to be more than a fantasy excursion, rather it served as an opportunity to reflect on those things that I would love to build in a school... a school with no budget restraints, with an incredibly positive culture, a school where I can be the kind of leader I would love to be.

As you read about my perfect school in the future, take a minute to consider what kind of school you would create if there were no excuses, what type of relationships would exist there, what would you build?The following was written as if I were writing it 5-10 years in the future.

                                           My Perfect School in the Future


               A few years back, I read an article by Shelley Plock. The article was titled “21 Things That Will Become Obsolete in Education by 2020.” She spoke about how books and desktop computers would be non-existent, and with the explosion of technology taking place at that time; I thought that the article was not only interesting, but also completely possible. I can remember feeling excited about the prospect of leading the kind of change she was describing, the kind of change that was so desperately needed in our district. In those early years, I was so unsure of my ability to lead that change, but since then I have learned that my passion and belief in people was what I really needed to become the change leader that I am today.
             Over the years, I have grown into my role and I am so amazed by how lucky I feel to have ended up in this school with this incredibly dedicated staff. I really never thought that I would be fortunate enough to be in the forefront of leading change initiatives for my district and yet, here I am! The staff at this school is an amazing group of professionals willing to embrace innovation. By creating an environment in which the staff feels staff to try new things, they have become risk-takers and have eagerly embraced opportunities to become change agents. I have always believed that learning is a life long endeavor. That every experience, both good and bad, provides an opportunity to learn a lesson; you simply need to be willing to reflect upon the experience and use it to guide future actions in order to fully grasp the learning potential.  If I claim a main victory as a leader, it is the fact that everyone here; the teachers, staff, students, parents, and even the community members we are involved with have join me in the belief that learning does not stop at our school gates or when the bell rings.
            This united vision of learning that extends beyond the classroom has resulted in our development of a model of collaboration never before seen in this district. This model is one in which students, teachers, parents and members of our community learn together, both in in our school, as well as, in our community. The traditional structure of classrooms does not work for everyone, so sometimes we change that and take learning out of the classroom. Our teachers challenge themselves to do whatever is necessary to improve learning for everyone in our community. When I say community, I do mean the entire community. With our outreach program, students can see how school skills are used in the work force. Parents and partners share their expertise by bring real-world experience into our school and by taking our students out into the real world. Students learn the value of education as they work to enhance not only their own life but also those of others in our community. That is one of the wonderful things that have come out of our model of collaboration and partnerships. Collectively we have created a sense of community for our school, it is in fact the center of learning for not only our students but also their families. Innovative thinking at our school means that our community of learners looks for opportunities to learn and grow together in a multitude of meaningful ways. Math skills are more meaningful when used to calculate the amount of paint that is needed to paint the house of one of our elderly neighbors or the clubhouse at our local park, and the value of becoming involved with the people in our community in a significant way has created a sense of commitment and purpose for our students. Learning is relevant when students see how they can use it to help others; it brings meaning to their lives, and motivates them to work harder. Our teachers have embraced the principals of servant leadership as a means of helping our students and their families learn and grow to their full potential. But I cannot claim full credit for this, in fact, our collective vision has evolved through a process vested in collaboration, and shared leadership.
            Many teacher leaders have stepped up to move us towards becoming more socially conscious, all in an attempt to overcome many of the barriers that our students were facing. Driven by data and informed decision making, my staff is always seeking solutions rather than settling for excuses, and it has been this tenacious pursuit that has propelled us forward to the point that we are seeing learning gains beyond anything that anyone believed possible, everyone that is except for my staff. They have always set high expectations for all our students and have worked to help them achieve those goals.
            Key here is that fact that everyone in our “learning community” believes our students will grow to become productive members of our society. While every student is not destined to become a doctor, lawyer or engineer, everyone in a community plays a role. In our community that means that everyone: the facilities staff, cafeteria workers, clerical staff, paraprofessionals, parents, partners, clergy, everyone, plays a role in mentoring and serving as role models for our students. Each student has an adult that takes a special interest in his or her success, helping guide them, support them, encourage them, and show them the value of education. When students know that there is someone that cares that much about their success, it is empowering. When students see the adults in their world working together towards a common goal, they see the value of that behavior and they emulate it in the behavior. They work harder to make sure that they are not disappointing their teachers and their mentors, and as a result, their level of success has sky rocketed. The added benefit within our organization is that teachers see the value and benefits of the involvement of all these individuals and as a result the staff has developed such strong interpersonal relationships that it has created a united sense of solidarity; a “we are all in this together” mentality. This mentality has propelled individuals to a greater involvement in our school and throughout our community, which in turn creates more commitment. It is a wonderful cycle of involvement and respect.
            I know that many people will look at what we are doing and see us as the exception rather than the rule, but I truly believe that education has to continue to evolve in order to meet the changing demands of our society. As an instructional leader, I see my role as a facilitator of learning. By ensuring that my staff and community stays current with the latest research, by creating an error tolerant environment, my staff and students will feel comfortable being risk-takers. T.S. Elliot said, “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” I believe my staff is still figuring out how far we can go, and when we get there it will be incredible! Someday my time at this school will be done, when that day comes I know that the involvement and commitment here will continue so that our students and our community will continue to thrive. I believe that the model for collaboration we have begun is an example of what education can and should be, and that will be my legacy.

What would your perfect school look like... What are you doing to create it... What are we all doing to create it?
           


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflect on this entry here: