About this Blog

Learning to be a Leader is a blog to chronicle my journey towards becoming an Educational Leader. See my first entry for more information.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Abilene Paradox

Today in class we learned about the Abilene Paradox. This paradox was originally introduced by Jerry B. Harvey. He describes the phenomenon as a breakdown in group communication that occurs when individuals take on the "Don't Rock the Boat" mentality. Group members mistakenly think that other members of the group hold different beliefs then they do, so they go along with an idea instead of challenging the idea. Members of the group have a false sense of consensus.

While we discussed the implications of this paradox for educational leaders, I couldn't help but reflect on other examples in history: our country's history and my own.

How many stories have we read in history where the soldiers going into battle knew that they were walking in to a trap, and yet they followed orders without question... knowing all along it was a mistake, yet refusing to face the potential charge of insubordination.

How many businesses continue to implement the same ineffective practices over and over again? You have to think that SOMEONE must realize that they are making a mistake, and yet no one is willing to stand up and say "STOP."

Fear of repercussion, Fear of being ostracized, Fear that others will laugh at you... Fear!

These are major examples of the Abilene Paradox, but does it exist in our personal lives? As I watched the Abilene Video, which demonstrated the paradox in a family situation, I couldn't help but recall many situations in my own past that fit into this model. Restaurants nobody wanted to go to, trips no one wanted to take, and even a set of living room furniture that no one really liked!

Why is it that I have fallen into this conundrum? And more importantly, how do I insure that I don't continue this pattern when I become a leader? I believe the latter is a much easier question to answer than the former, so I will start there.

Education and Awareness. I had never even heard of this paradox before today, never mind, knowing how to avoid falling victim to it! However, after our discussions today, I feel I would have the tools to avoid this paradox as a leader.

As for the question as to why I have have taken way too many trips to Abilene, I think that one might very well take years to figure out. And it is definitely a couch conversation with someone with more letters behind their name then I have.

To learn more about the Abilene Paradox, check out this video.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflect on this entry here: