About this Blog

Learning to be a Leader is a blog to chronicle my journey towards becoming an Educational Leader. See my first entry for more information.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Grasshopper Syndrome

I attended a conference last night and a Jewish Rabbi told a bible story that has been told before by both Rabbis and Ministers when they want to inspire their followers. The story goes something like this...


Moses sent a group of men, one from each of the 12 tribes, into the desert to spy on the promised land and its inhabitants. Moses questioned the spies about the safety of taking the promised land as G-d had ordered. The men described the land to Moses, explaining that it truly flowed with Milk and Honey, but warned the sage that the people in this land were strong and many, and told Moses they should not attempt this overwhelming challenge. They explained  “We saw the giants…and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight.” 

The remainder of the the Rabbi's speech was designed to inspired us to face adversary with a fierce determination to overcome it, insisting that we are not insignificant grasshoppers, that we can do great things that will impact the world. After explaining this "Grasshopper Syndrome" he told the story behind the movie "It's a Wonderful Life." I found it particularly amusing because this is a movie that is often shown around Christmas time, so the fact that the Rabbi was telling it seemed almost humorous.

For those of you not familiar with the story it deals with a man that thinks his life has no meaning and is shown by an angel how many lives he has touched and how their lives would be different had he never lived.

The Rabbi related this story back to the Grasshopper Syndrome. To further emphasize the point that we all make a difference in the lives of others.

So why am I sharing this story in my leadership blog? Well, it is because while I was listening to this story, I was thinking about the challenges I will face as a leader in a "turn-around" school, and how these challenges may seem like Giants to me and to the staff I will lead. I can not go in and see these challenges and feel like a grasshopper, too overwhelmed by the greatness of the task. I can not give in to the Grasshopper Syndrome, feel as if the task is unachievable, and I need to help my staff see their value and impact that they have of the lives of those they teach. The speech this Rabbi gave seemed to speak directly to those insecurities that have been festering in the back of mind... Can I really do this? Is this challenge too great? This speech helped me realize that I am NOT a Grasshopper, I am not insignificant, and I can make a difference.

For my fellow Cohort Members, let us all remember that we have a very important role to play in this challenge, though we may face giants, we are NOT GRASSHOPPERS, we will rise against the giants, we will overcome challenges, and we will make the difference in the lives of children throughout our district, our community, our country, and our world.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your encouraging words, Arlene. It is true, we will rise up to any and all challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Reflect on this entry here: